On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 07:02:52 -0700 (PDT)
Dufriz <duf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am on Windows 8.1, running Python 3.3.5 with
> PyQt4-4.10.4-gpl-Py3.3-Qt4.8.5-x64.
> I am using Leo 4.11 final, build 6240.
>
> I have partially obtained the color combination I was looking for,
> simply by importing Terry's solarized theme which takes care of most
> things. However, this is not to say that I have solved the
> difficulties related to the UI configuration. I am still in the dark
> as to how settings should be properly managed. It's really
> infuriating, especially when you change a setting and for some reason
> it does not take effect.
>
> For instance, based on Terry's dark (solarized) theme 0, which I am
> trying to modify:
> I am now trying to change the background color of the minibuffer's
> edit line, to make it stand out from the surrounding background
> color. So, I go to the node mini-buffer & status (under stylesheet &
> source) and I edit the background-color parameter, setting it to
> another color (drastically different, so I can easily see if the
> change took place). Then I save and restart Leo, and the change did
> not take effect! (despite having been saved correctly).

Well, if you'd read the instructions, you'd have been able to get
frustrated at a completely different step in the process :-} :-)

The README node in the theme sub trees says:

  *IMPORTANT:* to change the stylesheet, edit the Leo tree under the
  `stylesheet & source` node below, not the
  `@data qt-gui-plugin-style-sheet` node itself.

  Then select the `stylesheet & source` node and click the `run-script`
  button. This creates a new `@data qt-gui-plugin-style-sheet` node and
  disables the old one by adding `@@data`.

You got the first part, but not the second.  Unfortunately, when you
`run-script` on `stylesheet & source`, it calls

   g.expand_css_constants(nd.b)

and this now needs to be changed to

   g.expand_css_constants(c, nd.b)

specifically the code in `stylesheet & source` that reads

  # make the style active
  g.app.gui.frameFactory.masterFrame.setStyleSheet(
      g.expand_css_constants(nd.b))

needs to read

  # make the style active
  g.app.gui.frameFactory.masterFrame.setStyleSheet(
      g.expand_css_constants(c, nd.b))

With that change in place, clicking run-script or hitting Ctrl-B with
the `stylesheet & source` node active should immediately *compile* and
apply your new settings.

Sorry about all the frustration, and to be fair with it being broken by
the missing "c," thing, maybe you had followed this procedure at one
point and understandably thought it didn't work, on account of it not
working :-/

> I am wondering: is there any other setting which overrides this?!?
> This is a common problem in Leo settings, from what I understand (as
> I encountered it in other settings). The user is likely to mad if he
> has to check and counter-check all these cross-referenced settings!
>
> Anyway, these are just some the difficulties I am encountering in
> changing the settings.
> I believe a radical restucturing of the way settings are handled, or
> at least presented to the end-user, is really called for here.

I think everyone's in complete agreement with the latter view, the way
this stuff is presented to the user needs changing and there's a
blueprint for what it should look like, it's just a matter of dev.
time.  There are so many things to develop on Leo, not necessarily
deficiencies, that it's hard to know what to pick and I suspect
whatever's top of mind and most interesting seeming gets picked, but
I'll try and get the user interface to UI config. revamp rolling as my
first priority for Leo dev. time.

Cheers -Terry