On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 9:46 AM, 'Terry Brown' via leo-editor
<leo-editor@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that a top level setup.py is normal for python and
> moving it would break pip, which is not desirable.

Yes, that's the essence of the problem.

> is it possible to tweak setup.py to just print
>
>   Please see http://leoeditor.com/installing.html
>
> when run as above?

I like this idea.

> Not sure if that would mean having the code determine whether it's
> being invoked from pip or not and do something different when it is,
> but if it's easy to do, that seems like the least degrading solution :-)

This code appears, commented out, at the start of setup.py::

    #if 'install' in sys.argv:
    #    print "WARNING: 'setup.py install' is known to not work."
    #    print "Either use 'setup.py develop', or run launchLeo.py directly"
    #    sys.exit()

Presumably this was not good for some reason.

Terry, are you interested in taking this on?  It might involve seeing
how pip calls this script.