Alternate solution(?): branches. Master branch, which has no setup.py at
top (or any other junk), and Install branch, which does have machinery up
front. Then we add instructions to docs for people looking for a familiar
pip method: pip install https://github.com/leo-editor/archive/install.zip

The only reason for an Install branch is to allow pip install from sources
in one step and provide "this is what I expect a python project to look
like" view into Leo. (desirable, IMO). If branch management is too much
pain a simple script in `leo\dist` can move the files appropriately
(workable).

---
I couldn't find a commit that commented out the "if 'install'" logic (and
thus a reason why). The block was initially added in 25-Aug-2008 by Ville
[70b4d4f59ecc350b98453872eb0a1303bb2f88b5], and when the whole file was
temporarily removed by Edward 29-Jan-2010
[cefd5bfa1b0f8c82cc248c5028e05374033ee1e8 ] the block had already been
commented out.

-matt