Arch Linux uses pacman. Neither rpm nor deb work properly. Slackware uses
slackpkg. Bsd uses ports. Anaconda (a scientific python distribution) will
install on all three platforms, but includes its own versions of pyQT etc.
KDE complicates all of the above by installing QT, different versions
depending on the version of KDE.

The inclusive way to do Linux installs is autotools.

None of the above will do the trick for a first year uni student or a
housewife writing a novel. It may well boil down to a Windows problem, but
more and more people are starting to use Linux based platforms. ChromeOS
and Android come to mind as possible installation targets that lie beyond
the reach of a deb package or an rpm..

What is the simplest thing that could possibly work?

Chris