On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 8:06 AM, Terry Brown <terrynbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure you have to restart Leo if you swap out leoSettings.leo, but a
> branch is still a convenient container for a set of related changes,
> not sure I follow the above.

​Well, the work is done.  It was straightforward.​

themes
> ​... must be able to include arbitrary amounts of their own "Qt-CSS".

​Not a problem.
​

> > A *copy *of each base will be included in each @theme tree. Copies
> > are required because Leo does not support including one stylesheet in
> > another. The intention is that base part will *never* change.​

> Of "each base", or "the base"?

​The base theme base won't change, and so neither will the clones of parts
of it.

> This seems to imply that all themes need to be kept in sync. and Leo
> devs. are responsible for maintaining them
> ​.​

​People could contribute any theme they like, organized as they like.  But
@theme base dark makes it possible to create (and describe) a scheme as
small diffs from the base.

> If the new scheme prevents *new* themes from having their own "Qt-CSS"
> code, I don't think it's a good idea.

​It doesn't, as shown in the windows ekr dark theme.
​

> it
> ​ ​
> seems a new theme could just break the rule about including a copy of
> some common base?

​Yes it could.
​

> Given that, I'm not really sure what the new scheme
> ​ ​
> changes.

​It makes it possible to describe new themes in terms of diffs to a quite
reasonable base ​theme. @theme windows ekr dark does exactly that, via the
two zz nodes.  It's a big improvement. I used this while developing the
Linux ekr dark theme.