Anyway, what I think would be great to have is a "leo://" protocol which
could not only be used inside Leo documents (and work as the current UNLs)
but used from documents outside Leo with the same result of having Leo open
the file focused in the given node.

I have not investigated the issue in depth, but I suppose we could get some
ideas from projects like Thunderlink
<https://github.com/poohsen/thunderlink> (which I use intensively!).

What do you think?

As a first step in this direction, maybe Leo could just properly handle
opening UNLs from the command-line:

python launchLeo.py "unl:///my/leo/file.leo#node3:0"

That would be also useful for some of my use cases.