On Sun, 4 Jun 2017 12:42:10 -0700 (PDT)
Largo84 <larg...@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Are there any technical, design or practical reasons why the
> backlinks plugin is limited to 'internal' links? I thought about

Sort of.  The backlinks plugin uses GNXs (node IDs) for persistence.  I
think - I wrote it, but haven't touched that part of it for a long time.
GNXs don't include any file info, so you can only interpret them in the
context of the current file.

I suspect the backlinks plugin could be extended to use UNLs too, might
be a bit fiddly because the graphviz plugin depends on backlinks, so
that would need tweaking too.  But probably makes more sense than
creating a new but very similar plugin.  I'll try and remember to
investigate, but won't be for a few days.

(UNLs can include file info. and thus make cross file links, like Lewis
said)

Cheers -Terry