Edward, I'm in a similar situation, I can give my own short experience.

The more one uses emacs the more it becomes obvious that it is not an
editor or an IDE or a PIM, but simply contains all those things. emacs is
not an integrated development environment (IDE) but rather an integrated
computing environment (ICE, just coined). It is a collection of computing
(editing, PIM, development, debugging, version control, system management)
tools that work well together (seamlessly in many case, but certainly not
perfect).

Some may think this statement blasphemous but I think emacs and pharo are
extremely similar in scope. That is to say in both cases you can (and are
intended to) spend close to 100% of your time within the computing
environment. In emacs the features that help facilitate this are dired,
vc/magit, and term/shell-commands.

I spend an enormous amount of my time in dired because it's just so well
integrated into the rest of emacs. It is as if I have the entirety of my
file system and network at my finger tips. I can run shell commands on any
files/folders or subset of files/folders and any output goes directly into
emacs; this helps keep me in emacs an out of the terminal. dired is further
enabled by TRAMP which allows you to view the file system of remote
computers via SSH. TRAMP also makes it seamless to edit files on those
remote computers.

vc/magit/diff-hl and other features make version control seamless and
mostly painless. Being able to see which files have changed (in dired) and
which lines of my code have changes (via icons in the gutter) at all times
really helps keep my mind organized and focused. These features also help
keep me out of the terminal.

And then there is Org, which I'm sure you've gotten plenty of requests for
features from. Leo is very much like Org. I use Org more like a Jupyter
Notebook than anything else. What I utilize most is Org-babel. Org-babel
allows you to run any kind of code from anywhere within an org file and
save the results within the Org file. The nice thing is that the syntax
highlighting is applied appropriately for every kind of block. For example,
you can several different pieces of code in different languages with
different syntax highlighting in the same file on the same screen at one
time. I think Leo does quite a bit of what Org does already, they just do
things differently.

I'm not there is anything I would recommend that Leo try to do that is
currently does not that emacs does. You would, I believe, have to turn Leo
into a full ICE; which I don't think has ever been the goal or aim of Leo.
Perhaps this just sort of happens over time as features are accumulated.

If Leo had a multi-node body pane which reflected the indented
structure/view shown in the tree pane then it would function more similarly
to Org-mode than it does now. Whilst there is a benefit to the "focus" of
seeing only one node at a time, in the cases where I use Org-mode I
explicitly want/need to see multiple nodes at a time. Leo can't give this
to me right now. I think this would really open Leo up opportunities for
Leo, it would be a bit of a paradigm shift for Leo. I know that Terry has
been working on this but I don't think there has been a release. If he
doesn't have the time to finish it I'd recommend him passing it off to you
(Edward) to at least experiment with.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/leo-editor/136345d4-347c-476d-8084-2ff76986f190%40googlegroups.com.