Many thanks to all. I've only just now got back to this thread and
gratified to see tips have kept coming in.  It will take me awhile to check
all these out but it looks good indeed.

I want to put in a plug here for someone to undertake a robust Zettelkasten
plugin for Leo.  I think Zettelkasten is the best available idea for notes,
and I think Leo may implement it better than anyone else has done
(disclaimer: this is the relatively uninformed opinion of a Leo newbie and
a non-programmer as well). It seems to me (again as a complete newbie) that
Leo already utilizes some (maybe all?) of the core principles of
Zettelkasten, and more besides, that would only enhance the concept.  It
would truly be a marvelous piece of software.  Wish I knew python.