On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 11:55:38 AM UTC-5, stevelitt wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 15:36:36 -0800 (PST)
> andyjim <andy...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>

> > My thought is to arrange all this in external plain text files
> > initially, with the outline organization being in Leo, leaving the
> > files external
>
> Hi andyjim,
>
> The thread you started long ago moved away from the preceding desire.
> Your preceding desire should be very easy to accomplish using the same
> method VimOutliner accomplished it: Use executable lines. Somewhere on a
> headline, or as a direct child of a headline, have a command to view
> the external file, so that if you hotkey the headline, it runs the
> command and pulls up the file.

@stevelitt, I agree that there are many ways a system might be
implemented.  One of the things we (or I, anyway) are keeping in mind is a
strong desire to be able to extract the data from the system in case it has
to be used in some other system (or even manually, in the worst case).  So
at this point, we're trying to get clear on the concept of operations (use
the use cases, if you like that terminology better), and then see how we
can fit that into Leo.  Bear in mind that we're thinking about a
substantial body of work here - potentially years or decades of research
and thinking.   The primary objectives are to be able to preserve that
work, to be able to add to it with the least amount of friction, and to use
have the system help us use it in a way that promotes creativity and
productivity.

An additional constraint is that both @andyjim and myself want to be able
to get these notes and their meta data into the system with the least
hindrance possible - a stream of plain typing being the most desirable.

After that, I expect we'll be getting into user interfaces, and what
compromises might be forced on us - let's hope they will be minimal!
That's where your ideas could fit in.