Yes, and some would say that you should open a separate new branch for
every single bug.  If you haven't seen it, Raymond Chen's The Old New Thing
had a whole series on how to organize, merge, and commit git branches to
avoid strange problems like giving the "blame" to the wrong person.  Very
worth reading if you haven't encountered the series yet. (What he's dealing
with is way beyond anything I've had to deal with, but you are working on a
much larger code base with many more contributors than I).

The series starts here:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20180312-00/?p=98215