Hi!

I also use the set of shortcuts Tomas has proposed. I've also never had
inconsistencies with ctrl+i for insertion.

About promote/demote :  yeah..... :/ ...I've also never used the shortcuts
because ctrl+{ nor ctrl+} work for me. (pyqt/tlcTk must use the ascii code
instead of the keyboard scancode I dunno )

Also - I never know what those do... There should be a label beside or
underneath in the menu that states "Promotes childs of the selected node"
or "Promotes the selected by demoting its children" to make it clear what
is promoted / demoted and what stays...  as its ambivalent...  always have
to try it , undo, realize I wanted the other one... (with a node being
selected, calling a command "promote" or  "demote", only, has an unclear
meaning)
--
Félix