I was thinking a little more about this problem and gathered the final
requirements in my head.
The following things can make me happy with Leo's HL:

1. when I place cursor on the word with mouse - every occurrence of this
word in the body editor is HLed. When I use navigation hotkeys to change
cursor position - HL is dropped while cursor is in motion, and when it is
stopped for a second or more - every occurrence is HL. The second part can
be dropped off - mouse is enough (since it looks kinda hard to implement)
2. Every match for F2/F3 and ctrl-shift-F in the body editor is HL too with
different color
3. ctrl-F3 triggers search forward for the word under cursor, ctrl-F2 -
backward (HL is performed, sure)
4. where is some hotkey to switch on/off for the persistent HL of the
selection or the word if nothing is selected; every buffer HLs matching
words with another color despite all other actions. This is useful when I
want to anchor some expression and see how it is used across buffers
around. Is a minor requirement too.

Thanks ;-)