Let me add a little clarification here.

When Edward writes " Installing git is no more difficult than installing
any other program.",  he meant but didn't say that you need to install the
*git* program on your computer before following his steps.

After you have gotten the latest version - in Step 7 - then you need to use
it when you run Leo.  Probably the easiest way is to change your directory
to your new git/leo-editor/leo directory if you are not already there.
Then run Leo:

python3 core\runLeo.py

On your system, Python 3 may have a different name, possibly just python,
or something like python3.8.