> Youngsters have no idea what programming life was like in the "horse and
> buggy" days 40 or 50 years ago:
>
> - Feeble hardware.
> - Feeble programming tools: We worked in assembler or C.
>   No git, python, numpy, matplotlib and leo.
> - No internet! No google, github and online communities!
> QQQ
>
> 40 or 50 years ago the challenges were way different, but we had the same
> kind of engineering fun seeing what was possible.

In 1980 I was briefly involved in a project aimed at writing software to
help in learning or reviewing trigonometry. The software was to run on the
Atari 800 microcomputer, which offered sophisticated graphics for video
displays, supporting mixing of text and graphics and offering hardware
support for overlay of sprites along with hardware for detection of
collisions between sprites and the rest of the displayed field. All that
relied on custom chips built to run alongside the computer's 6502
microprocessor; controlling it required careful programming. The machine
featured a maximum of 48 KB of RAM and a floppy disk drive.

The project's software was written in Forth, which provided a programming
language, use of assembly language when needed, and a development
environment that could fit on so small a machine. Forth had for many years
an important niche in industrial control and embedded computing.

Links of interest:
Forth (programming language)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_(programming_language)#Implementations>,
on Wikipedia.
Gforth, GNU Project's implementation <https://www.gnu.org/software/gforth/>
Win32Forth <https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32forth/>
Documentation and books
Gforth user manual
<https://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/gforth/Docs-html/>
Starting Forth <https://www.forth.com/starting-forth/>, by Leo Brodie,
updated in 2003 by FORTH, Inc.
Thinking Forth: A Language and Philosophy for Solving Problems
<https://www.dnd.utwente.nl/~tim/colorforth/Leo-Brodie/thinking-forth.pdf>,
by Leo Brodie