I don't know how long I would count on whoever in the future owns github to
continue hosting *.github.io when some future beancounter reassesses their
margins.

E.g.  I'm glad that leoeditor.com wasn't hosted on geocities...
sourceforge... google+...

Even GitLab is mumbling about "inactive" repositories... cue CI/CD script
to auto add new comment periodically.