On Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 12:03:04 PM UTC-5 off...@riseup.net wrote:

I think that your explanation is pretty complete.

For me, one of the most important aspects of Leo is that the structure of
the plain-text documents is not only implicit, and in that sense "rarely
visualized", as you put it, but also emergent and user provided. I was
always able to take a plain text file and give it my structure, beyond the
one implicit in the file via classes, scripts or methods.

I completely agree.  To my mind, this capability is one of Leo's strong
points.  I've tried to incorporate your suggestion:

"Leo helps you create, edit, and understand the structure and contents of
collections of plain-text documents.

Plain-text documents can include text editor files, source code for
programs and documentation, and any other content that can be written as
plain text, such as ReStructuredText, Markdown, .dot files that represent
graph diagrams, to-do lists, and so on.

Structure includes both the arrangement of groups of related files, and
structure that is important but rarely visualized in ordinary text files.
 Structure is represented as an outline or tree, and Leo is an effective
outliner program.

You can visualize structure in a text file by breaking it into sub-parts of
your own choosing.  You can collect files and nodes into more than one
grouping as you wish.

Leo's key concepts include a tree-like (outline) organization, nodes that
contain the textual content, external files that can be contained as
subtrees, and scripts that can add or change Leo's behaviors.

Leo makes possible a divide-and-conquer strategy."

I want to avoid making the statement too complicated and too hard to read,
so I'm going to resist adding anything more unless it's really good.  I
also don't want to include any specialized terms or concepts that many
people won't be familiar with.  For that reason I haven't mentioned clones,
though I'm sure that Edward would like it.  The purpose of clones is
covered by "collect files and nodes into more than one grouping as you wish",
and I do not think that the term itself would convey that notion to most
non-Leonine readers.