On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 10:21:21 AM UTC-4 al...@laerios.com wrote:

> @paolomi thinks it should not be in ~/ so as to reduce clutter in the
> user's home directory.

On 26.3.2023 07:25, Edward K. Ream wrote:
> - The home directory is a natural place for this data.
> - The home directory often contains subdirectories starting with
> `.<app-name>'.
> Both Linux and Windows hide such directories by default.

The initial request seems to conflate 'reducing $HOME clutter' with
'adopting the XDG directory specification' in regards to where data,
config, state files (and so on) are stored.

I brought up the XDG directories because the original request by @paolomi
specifically mentioned them.  He suggested using the XDG-specified location
of config files.  Since the leo directory contains more kinds of files than
config files, I suggested that the closest XDG-blessed location would be
~/.local/share.  I don't think that's a very good fit to the XDG
categories, but it seems the closest of any one.

There are places in the code where purpose-specific files and folders
are directly derived from g.app.homeLeoDir, so redesigning leo (and
plugins) to redistribute files across different locations will be
burdensome.

1) To prevent cluttering $HOME, would it not be enough to specify the
location of homeLeoDir to somewhere else?

Yes, that's basically what the issue is about.

2) Is there currently no way to customize the location of homeLeoDir? If
not, perhaps it would be convenient to have the ability to customize it
at startup, e.g. via command line parameter or environment variable.

I don't think there is at present.  I don't see much value in letting the
location be user-customized, at least for Leo, because the user would have
to keep track of the location, and there would need to be a default anyway
in case the user didn't want to (or didn't know where to choose).  The more
things that just work all by themselves, the better.  That has always been
the case with the .leo directory.

For reference, here is a listing with software which does not comply
with the XDG Directory Specification, but allow customizing the file
system paths they read/write in some way:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/XDG_Base_Directory#Partial