Hi,

What we do, is that we package the associated files to a data narrative as a Fossil[1] repository, with versioned and unversioned files. Versioned files are used for the ones where we want to track the history and the unversioned are used for raster files (for example, PDF outputs for the data stories or PNG/JPG) images. This gives us a pretty simple infrastructure to exchange and publish our resources, that can travel in a single file. It's like .zip but with history.

[1] https://fossil-scm.org

I think that, via Fossil, SQLite as an application format is a pretty powerful tool. Some related docs and videos below:

 * https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y_ABXwYtuc
 * https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jib2AmRb_rk
 * https://www.sqlite.org/appfileformat.html

My 100 pesos,