I currently only see command paste-retaining-clones. Is this the command
you are referring to (not paste-node-retaining-clones)?

I presume this is an older command (that I have not knowingly used).

I guess I am still ... nervous is not exactly the right word ... about
having variants for what I think most users would see as a fundamental, and
"trivial", operation. But I am trying to keep an open mind...

J^n