I got some more clarity about this, and I commented the following on the
proposed PR:

I can now see that the concept of operation is simple. Within an outline,
for a parent-and-subtree:

   - Ask for a move, get a move; gnxs do not change;
   - Cut-paste is the same as a move;
   - Ask for a copy, get a copy, meaning all nodes get new gnxs.
   - To paste a copy when the top of the copied tree already exists means *by
   definition* to ask for a copy.

I think that Leo's defaults should act this way.  I'd rather that the
behaviors not change via a setting because their effect can be invisible
until later, when it might be too late.  Also, those of us who run several
installations (for instance, on a Linux VM for testing purposes) would
inevitably forget what state those settings were on what machine.  That
might end up being very confusing, to say the least!

Once we're sure that the paste-copy and paste-clone commands are working as
intended, then we can probably make it fairly clear by naming commands and
menu items (and also in the docstrings) as to what to expect.