The discussion got me to examine the various commands' docstrings via F11.
*paste-as-template
*was new to me, and might have been handy from time to time.  The word
"template" doesn't convey anything useful to me about what the command
does, but I don't have an alternate to suggest at this moment. The command
name *paste-retaining-clones* is a little misleading to me because it
leaves a question about what happens to non-cloned nodes in the copied
subtree (they keep their gnxs too).  The menu item label (*Paste Node As
Clone* doesn't quite match up with the command's name, at least to me.

I better write some clarifying text about these commands in the new user
guide I'm slowly working on, I suppose.