On Monday, May 20, 2024 at 10:39:14 AM UTC-4 Edward K. Ream wrote:

Imo, there is *no way* to have the free_layout and nested_splitter plugins
coexist with the PR. I am considering moving those two plugins to the attic.

I wouldn't go that far.  My script tries to use the free_layout method to
find the right widget to insert VR3 into, and that raises an exception it
uses the new method instead.  One could easily move the script into the
plugin itself as a command. So I think they could coexist - with some
rewriting, of course.

This works when the plugin is not enabled in the settings.  So it never
uses the "provider" mechanism and never gets registered with the nested
splitter machinery (which doesn't exist in the new approach, of course).

The question is, then, what will count as a plugin without the provider
infrastructure?  We certainly want people to be able to write code and have
it work with Leo, and some existing plugins aren't GUI-related and don't
use the nested splitter code anyway.  It seems we have to rethink the idea
of a GUI plugin and how it should work.

We shouldn't send the plugins to the attic, because people are using them.
Let's find another way.