It was remarkable how much faster a 2 MHz Z80 was than an early PC with
the 8088 at nearly 5 MHz.  I was able to make a direct comparison because I
had a FORTH program I used all the time on a 64k Z80 machine.  When I got a
PC I was able to find a 8088 FORTH system.  FORTH was written with a small
core of assembler and then all the other FORTH instructions were written
using that fast core.  So FORTH for the two machines was as nearly
comparable as you were going to get.

The PC version running our FORTH code on a 8088 machine was wretchedly slow
compared to the Z80 version.  The PC version only caught up when the AT
came out with an 8MHz processor.