The original IBM PC was a quick-and-dirty design; performance was not a
goal.

FORTH is an opposite: Simplicity and flexibility are at the heart of its
design, with carefully considered access to assembly language where
required for performance or access to bare metal. The design requires
trading conventional convenience for that. More conventional schemes for
access to bare metal involve complex, fragile, non-portable and expensive
platform development tools. Given engineering talent able to use FORTH,
FORTH makes sense. The wide-open architecture of FORTH requires discipline,
documentation, and careful management to write code that not only runs but
can be read and maintained.

I haven't made a career of embedded systems work, but I have done a few
small projects of that sort, and I think that FORTH holds its own in the
right hands.