Tushar Teredesai wrote:
Agreed. But for the *LFS books, it is good to have instructions that
work for most users irrespective of their setup. Hard coding the
UID/GID would break in more scenarios than the scheme I mentioned.

I can agree with that point of view, technically speaking. Personally speaking again, I like to know which ID ends up being used for something and not leave it to chance to pick the next one available. Maybe it's just a "control issue" but I like every system to have the same ID for the same service. I find it a little more organized that way.

If I read Bruce and Randy correctly, they prefer the hard-coding as well and provide IDs with the instructions (correct me if I'm wrong please).

--
Gerard Beekmans