Jeremy Huntwork wrote these words on 11/29/05 11:32 CST:

> Quite frankly, from the comments I've been reading, most of those who
> are opposed to putting this type of info in the book aren't giving
> technical reasons.

That's not true. The reasons stated have been accurate. They may not
be "technical" because there is nothing "technical" to state.

I will say this:

I believe it doesn't belong because we are writing a boot that suggests
how to build a Linux system. Everything I've read why we should use
fake root is so that the users can ensure that what they are putting
on their disk is actually what is intended.

However, I thought our goal was to provide instructions to build a
safe, secure, accurate Linux system. Why should readers not trust the
book and do extra steps to ensure what *the Editors* say is the
steps to accomplish this.

That's why a hint, with an appropriate reference to it from the LFS
and BLFS book satisfies the situation. We'll give readers knowledge
to use if they vary from the book, install packages not included in
the book or want to use fake root as a package manager.

But I don't think we should include the actual doing of the fake root
stuff in either book, as the readers should be able to trust what we
Editors have written.

--
Randy

11:42:00 up 65 days, 21:06, 3 users, load average: 0.13, 0.06, 0.20