Randy McMurchy wrote:
Jim Gifford wrote these words on 01/04/06 23:53 CST:

I know this is a topic a lot of people are interested in. How to get udev hotplugging working.

As I am obviously naive to what you are talking about, what exactly
doesn't work with the LFS implementation of udev hotplugging?

Really, nothing (save for one report by Archaic where he refused to help debugging). It's just deprecated upstream.

First off, you will need to patch the kernel. 2.6.15 is not all the way there, but GregKH has the necessary patches available to make it work. I used
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/gregkh-all-2.6.15.patch

Patch the kernel? Exactly why?

<guess>
I doubt that this big patch is needed as a whole. Probably, Jim meant some parts of it:

1) Add modalias support so that the rule containing "modprobe $modalias" autoloads more drivers:

driver/ide-modalias-support-for-autoloading-of-ide-cd-ide-disk.patch
driver/input-add-modalias-support.patch
driver/input-fix-add-modalias-support-build-error.patch

But it looks like they are already in 2.6.15...

2) Probably fixes a race so that one less WAIT_FOR_SYSFS rule is needed:
driver/net-swich-device-attribute-creation-to-default-attrs.patch
</guess>

Upstream is aware of all this brokenness as well?

Upstream is the source of all this hell, and they want it to be this way. Personally, I am against udev/hotplug being in LFS at all, since they require (from editors) deep understanding of too many non-trivial things, move too fast and break BLFS packages while moving. But I am certainly in the minority here.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
Don't mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]: the server is off until 2006-01-11