Archaic wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 11:36:46AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>>But not all possible devices.  The minimum would be the device where
>>grub will be writing the MBR, usually hda or sda.
>
> I do not think it would be wise for us to attempt at guessing where the
> MBR will reside. As such, mount --bind will suffice. We already create
> /proc and /sys prior to chroot. /dev certainly wouldn't hurt.

I agree.  I was just making an observation, not a suggestion about how
to proceed.

>>I believe there are two issues here.  What devices are necessary when
>>building LFS within chroot
>

> Any and all possible obscure bootable drive that supports an MBR and is
> supported by grub. IOW, too many devices to try and pick and choose.
>

>>and are the full set of devices created
>>properly upon boot of the LFS system.
>

> Considering that this thread has moved towards device nodes in chroot, I
> fail to see how device nodes at boot correlates (though the OP didn't
> specify chroot/boot). Unless someone can provide reason to not use mount
> --bind, we can consider the chroot phase sorted. The boot phase is what
> really needs our attention at this point, so I thank you for bringing it
> up.

There is another issue that may (or may not) need discussion.  The
procedures in chapters 6,7,8 are designed to be done in one sitting.  If
a user needs to power down somewhere in the middle of the process (think
students in a lab) reestablishing dynamically created elements upon
reentry of chroot is a non-trivial matter (/proc, /sys, /dev).

  -- Bruce