Bruce Dubbs wrote:

I'm not sure I see any advantage to this.

Just to add a "me too" to this, and for the same reasons Bruce states (i.e. the tarball and kernel config are available for rebuilds should they be necessary). If this is too painful for folks then they should put pressure on those out-of-tree driver maintainers to get them in-tree! Any userspace app that needs the kernel source around is probably doing something it shouldn't (now I'll just wait for someone to point me to some really useful program that needs it!).

Matt.