As I recently mentioned in a reply to the lfs-support list, I believe package users is really more trouble than its worth. The paragraph describing it, in the "Package Management" page, should be removed from the book. It is the cause of many user issues reported in the support lists and #lfs-support IRC channel. There are too many users who try it even though they just aren't qualified to do so (and as a result run into innumerable problems), simply because it *is* mentioned in the book as being "LFS-specific". The hint itself could also use a more emphatic warning that it should only be used by advanced LFS builders who have already built numerous LFS systems and know exactly how the whole build process works.

Note: A similar warning should be added to the ALFS webpage, saying that you should not even attempt ALFS until you can successfully build a system manually without errors and without any help from support channels, and that any user who does try ALFS without this prerequisite will not get any help from the support channels.