Chris Staub wrote:
As I recently mentioned in a reply to the lfs-support list, I believe package users is really more trouble than its worth. The paragraph describing it, in the "Package Management" page, should be removed from the book.
<snip />
Note: A similar warning should be added to the ALFS webpage, saying that you should not even attempt ALFS until you can successfully build a system manually without errors and without any help from support channels, and that any user who does try ALFS without this prerequisite will not get any help from the support channels.

[Please forgive my intrusion here, and this is not intended to be a dig or attack on anyone - just my immediate thought...]

Whilst I understand your sentiment above; seeing this thread directly following from Randy's "Dead Project?" seems a bit ironic...

Surely, with the current slow/small userbase, scaring people off from trying things out is exactly what isn't required? Shouldn't the community be trying to be a bit more 'inclusive'?

I understand the support issues, but there are plenty of people who could help with the replies - sometimes the editors/main contributors are just too quick to respond. Remember this is free stuff, there are no guarantees and no-one is actually paid to help others either!

I've been a long-time follower/user of LFS (ID: 213 IIRC) and occasional contributor to these boards. I don't have any authority here but I am very fond of this project as a whole and would like to see it continue; and indeed grow...

Thanks and viva LFS!

Alan

PS - George and Manuel are doing a bloody fantastic job on jhalfs. More power to them I say.

PPS - What ever happened to Jeremy Huntwork?

PPPS - on holiday for a week now so I'm not ignoring any replies (if there may be any), just not around ;-)