Alan Lord wrote:

[Please forgive my intrusion here, and this is not intended to be a dig or attack on anyone - just my immediate thought...]

Whilst I understand your sentiment above; seeing this thread directly following from Randy's "Dead Project?" seems a bit ironic...

Surely, with the current slow/small userbase, scaring people off from trying things out is exactly what isn't required? Shouldn't the community be trying to be a bit more 'inclusive'?

There is nothing wrong with users trying things out. The problem is when users try things when they simply don't understand what they're doing

I understand the support issues, but there are plenty of people who could help with the replies - sometimes the editors/main contributors are just too quick to respond. Remember this is free stuff, there are no guarantees and no-one is actually paid to help others either!

It isn't just the support issues. Supporting ideas like using ALFS if you don't completely understand how everything works, IMHO, undermines the very idea of the LFS project. Tools like ALFS are simply not supposed to be used as "shortcuts" or as a way to avoid learning how the build process works, but that's exactly how a number of users attempt to use it. Some people even go to ALFS *because* they have errors when building manually (inevitably due to user error) and think that ALFS will help eliminate those errors.

I've been a long-time follower/user of LFS (ID: 213 IIRC) and occasional contributor to these boards. I don't have any authority here but I am very fond of this project as a whole and would like to see it continue; and indeed grow...

Thanks and viva LFS!

Alan