On Aug 20, 2006, at 1:10 PM, Dennis J Perkins wrote:

So I think the project needs a challenge. Trouble is I can't think what
it is!

Yep, and that's why I can both understand Randy's and the community's
concerns about the lack of activity, but then wonder what activity it is
they'd like to see.

Maybe replacing sysvinit with runit (?) or something similar for faster booting? Might be better as a hint or BLFS, altho I would prefer having
a choice of packages when sysvinit is installed.  That would probably
cause problems with the bootscripts tho.

As someone who runs LFS with runit (and admittedly with an older boot- script base, but LFS scripts nonetheless) I can say it actually works pretty well. If you just stick everything from rc.systinit into script 1 and everything else into script 2 it works without any significant modification. My biggest complaint is that runit subscribes whole-heartedly to the DJB build system, which means no autotools and various uncommon assumptions about where one might like to build or install things.

I'm not sure runit is the right choice for LFS in general, but I sure like it, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings any to see it as a hint. (I know, I should just write the hint and stop whining. Maybe I will.)

        Zach