On 2/20/07, Dan Nicholson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2/19/07, Chris Staub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 1. Perhaps it should be made somewhat clearer that the "Linux-Headers"
> > installation comes from the kernel tarball. More than one user has come
> > into the IRC chat asking if it was the CLFS "Linux-Headers" package.
>
> No kidding. I don't know what else can be said, though. The Ch. 5 page
> says "This is done by way of sanitizing various C header files that
> are shipped in the Linux kernel source tarball".
>
> I'd think the only reason to specify the mechanism would be if you
> weren't using the scripts in the kernel. If you can think of anything,
> though, I'll add it.

Could someone suggest some text here? I really don't know what to write.

> > 2. The toolchain-adjustment section says that you can edit the specs
> > file by hand, but there is no specs file at all until it's generated by
> > that command gcc | sed command.

Fixed.

> > 3. Is m4 really needed in Chapter 5? I thought the only reason it was
> > there was because of Binutils, but it doesn't need m4 now...

Hopefully Manuel can rip off an ICA build to check this out. I'm not
in a position for that right now, but I can set it up if needed.

> > 4. Inetutils installs programs for ipv6, including a "ping6" program.
> > Since the FHS says that ping must be in /bin, it would seem to make
> > sense to put ping6 there too...this is what we have done in CLFS.
>
> I don't think I agree with that, but I don't feel really strongly either way.

I didn't change this since I don't really agree. Someone else can
certainly make that change, though.

> > 5. The instructions for Man-DB eliminate the reference to /usr/man in
> > the manpage search path to remove potential redundant results (since
> > /usr/man is a symlink to /usr/share/man). The same should be done for
> > /usr/local/man.

Fixed.

> > 6. Are the instructions in Texinfo for optionally installing TeX stuff
> > really needed? First, there is no explanation for what TeX is. Second,
> > there is no description of what exactly is installed ("components
> > belonging in a TeX installation" - what components?). We simply removed
> > that in CLFS.

I left this alone for now since I like having the TeX commands in
there. I think this should be discussed some more if it's going to be
changed.

> > 7. The Udev page says that Udev does not install any rules by default.
> > Actually, it does. Right make install for Udev...

Fixed.

> > Do we want to keep those or replace them? In CLFS we simply eliminate
> > the contents of /etc/udev/rules.d immediately after installing Udev.

As stated before, I think we're trying to use the upstream rules files
as much as possible.

> > Also, the "make install-doc" command for the LFS Udev rules creates the
> > /usr/share/doc/udev-105 directory so the command for installing the
> > documentation for writing Udev rules should be able to be shortened to
> > "install -m644 -v docs/writing_udev_rules/index.html
> > /usr/share/doc/udev-105".

Fixed.

> > Also, I have attached a patch with a few text fixes for the book.
> <snip>

Applied. Thanks, Chris.

--
Dan