Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 2/20/07, Dan Nicholson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 2/19/07, Chris Staub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> 1. Perhaps it should be made somewhat clearer that the
>>> "Linux-Headers" installation comes from the kernel tarball. More
>>> than one user has come into the IRC chat asking if it was the
>>> CLFS "Linux-Headers" package.
>>
>> No kidding. I don't know what else can be said, though. The Ch. 5
>> page says "This is done by way of sanitizing various C header files
>> that are shipped in the Linux kernel source tarball".
>>
>> I'd think the only reason to specify the mechanism would be if you
>> weren't using the scripts in the kernel. If you can think of
>> anything, though, I'll add it.
>
> Could someone suggest some text here? I really don't know what to
> write.

I don't think I can come up with any way to make the text clearer, but
what might help is to change the name of the package.  Something like
"Linux-&linux-version;-Headers" instead of putting the version at the
end, perhaps?  That way it might be a bit more obvious that it's not a
package named "linux-headers", and hopefully that makes it a bit more
obvious that it isn't CLFS's linux-headers package either.

Or, since I'm not at all sure how the automatic indexing stuff works yet
in DocBook ({indexterm}, etc.), perhaps it would be possible to just
remove the hyphens for that package, and call it "Linux 2.6.20 Headers"
or "Linux Headers", so those strings show up in the index (and on the
rest of the pages)?

Or better yet, call it "Linux API Headers", or something else that could
indicate its function and also split "Linux" and "Headers" apart?

OTOH, I don't know why most of these people think it's the CLFS package
either -- are they doing a search on linux-headers and finding that
package?  Or are they doing something else that's pointing them there?
I don't think any of these suggestions should be used unless they help
fix the root of the user confusion -- and I don't know what that is for
sure.