Deskin Miller wrote:
> On 6/4/07, Miguel Bazdresch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Deskin Miller wrote:
>>> [ should the book say anything about 'make -j X' on multi-core systems? ]
>> ['make -j X' where X is number of cores is more or less optimal...]

   There are issues when running make with other than -j1. Some package
builds will fail when make tries a parallel build. You can check out
jhalfs' optimize section which has an incomplete black list of packages
with MAKEFLAG issues.
>> As far as mentioning it in the book... I'm not enthusiastic, since
>> it's basic knowledge of how your computer works... OTOH we already
>> say some pretty basic things, and the proliferation of multicore
>> CPUs might warrant a mention of make -j.

   This also applies to the 'older' Hyper-Threading Intel products. I
saw  a noticeable reduction in compile times when I went to -j2.