Mohan wrote:
> I've actually seen some improvement on compile times running Athlons
> and such as well with -j2... I suspect it fills time the compiler spends
> waiting for this or that read, or write, or something.  There are
> certainly a lot of packages I've run into that have trouble with
> parallelization, though.  Not that it's much of a problem to just start
> the compile again without -j2.

I've only just completed my 1st LFS build, having come from 3 years on
Gentoo, where the '-j' flag is one of the standard options. Their
recommendation (listed in /etc/make.conf.example) is to set it to "the
number of cpu's plus one", which for my AthlonXP meant '-j2'...

...I completely forgot it's existence during this LFS build, & without
it i'm almost positive that my compile-times were faster (toolchain
packages more than twice as fast).

So now i'm thinking that Gentoo's recommendation is somewhat innacurate,
& would be better worded as "set -j to the number of cpu-cores" or some
such, having no personal experience of such a configuration, but
agreeing with the theories set forth in this thread...