Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Greg, care to explain in more detail the {dis,}advantages of the
> symlinks a bit more?

Dude, it's fairly simple. The symlinks keep the `-disable-multilib' build
very much compatible with x86 ie: very little changes are required, and
this is a *MASSIVE* maintenance advantage. Also, as mentioned elsewhere in
this thread, LSB binaries (those with interpreter path
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2) will work. I don't buy your argument about
symlinks being less robust.. neither does Ubuntu.. rescue CD's exist for a
reason you know :-)

I thought you were trying to adapt the current LFS/DIY *native* build
method to non-multilib x86_64 (similar to what I've done in the DIY
Refbuild). None of the CLFS gunk you're currently adding is needed. If
you're going to borrow bits of CLFS stuff then IMHO you may as well just
forget the whole thing and point folks to CLFS.

Regards
Greg
--
http://www.diy-linux.org/