El Lunes, 30 de Julio de 2007 21:26, Jeremy Huntwork escribió:

> I've been thinking about this some more recently. I really think it's
> not worth the time and effort (at least not now) to add the extra
> complexity to the XML/XSL to render two separate books for x86 LFS and
> x86_64 LFS. The command changes are so minimal that in the end, there
> would be very few differences at all. Just for the sake of review and to
> show how I would resolve the differences in one book, here's what we
> would need to change:

Yes, the differences between a x86 build and a pure 64 libs x86_64 build are
minimal.

The question is, we will add only pure 64 libs x86_64? or is that a mean of
POC before adding also instructions to build multilib x86_64 systems?

IMHO, multilib build instructions will be very intrussive due that several
packages need be builded two times. If we want to add it, we will need to
render sepparate books to not mess the reader with a lot of "if ....".

Thus I think that if multilib support will be added, is best to have ready the
profiling and rendering framework now that the changes are minimal, to let
editors familiarice with the new XML tagging.

> 6) Bootloader. This one is probably the biggest. Legacy grub is probably
> still preferable for x86. I see 3 options here:
>   a. Convert to lilo for both (dependency on bin86 which requires a
> patch for x86_64)
>   b. Convert to grub2 for both (untested by me, but I believe it works
> for both. Joe Ciccone has more info.)
>   c. Tell users to install grub via their host system. (Most have it
> these days. Wouldn't work for the 64-bit only LiveCD as of now.)

d. Move bootloader compilation to Chapter 8 "Making the LFS System Bootable"
discussing available alternatives (Grub, Grub2, LiLo, the host bootloader, a
boot CD, etc...)

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia