Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 09:00:34 -0500, Randy McMurchy
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> 3. Do #1 and suppress the installation of the wall program in the Sysvinit
>> instructions.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> 2. Pass a configure switch to the Util-Linux-ng configure command so that
>> the write program is built and installed.
>
> I don't think I've ever used it, but then I'm only usually on single-user
> systems.  Either option is good for me, with a slight preference for the
> above.
>
>> The CLFS build passes a configure switch so that the "partx" and related
>> programs are built and installed.
>
> Again, I've never used them.  Slight preference to have them installed but
> not particularly fussed either way.

partprobe is very useful.  If you create a new partition, you can use partprobe
to make the current system recognize it without rebooting.

> The one question this does raise though is why is upstream not installing
> these by default?  Is it because these utilities are now out of favour, and
> if so, should we be looking into installing alternative, upstream-preferred,
> utilities?  Maybe it's because they're no longer maintained? I'm still
> subscribed to the util-linux-ng mailing list so can certainly ask these kinds
> of questions if you think it would be useful?

One determining factor is if those programs are required by the LSB or not.  I
don't have time to check today.  I'd have to install the test suite and run it.

   -- Bruce