On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 00:06:49 +0100, Ken Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't have hal, of course, but I can't see how the _kernel_
> is going to take instructions from it (hal just passes messages
> around in userspace, no ?).

I thought it was D-Bus that was the message passing mechanism, HAL is the bit
that really does talk to the hardware to do 'useful' stuff.

As it is, from earlier messages it looks like fdisk does in actual fact call
the same iocctls that addpart & delpart wrap around, so unless you're creating
a partition on the boot device, fdisk should do the right thing.  Personally, I
never knew you could change the partition layout on a mounted device, and that
thought scares me somewhat.  But, I guess if you know what you're doing in that
kind of situation then partx would indeed be useful.

Regards,

Matt.