On Oct 7, 2008, at 5:41 PM, Randy McMurchy wrote:

To this day, using my most modern systems which include Udev/D-Bus/Hal
and all other recent additions, after creating a new partition, I have
to reboot to see it in order to create a filesystem. Just FYI.

When I write in fdisk I always get:
        Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
and according to the code fdisk calls:
        ioctl(fd, BLKRRPART);

Upon exiting fdisk new partitions are immediately available. IIRC it fails with the device is in use -- for example, if I add a partition in unallocated space without unmounting an existing partition. That generally isn't a problem for me, as I rarely change partitions on the boot device, but I can image cases where it is.

Am I abnormal? Or does partprobe call something different so that it can re-scan changed partitions even if the device is in use?

        Zach