On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:36:19 -0800, Jim Gifford <c...@jg555.com> wrote:

> We are not a fork, never have been.

I think that's a matter of opinion, Jim.  My opinion of CLFS is that it
has always has been a fork of LFS' code (at least in its infancy), but
not a fork of the project itself (the project being the conglomeration of
LFS, BLFS, HLFS, ALFS).

If it wasn't a fork of the code base, it would simply be a series of
patches that could be applied on top of a given snapshot of the LFS book's
XML + XSLT sources.  Alternatively, it could have been developed in a
separate SVN branch under the LFS repo and continuous integration of
LFS changes could have kept the books in sync aside from the required
toolchain changes. Instead, CLFS decided that the branch/patch approach
wasn't suitable so created a fundamentally standalone project.

As it stands, despite the seemingly obvious similarity in goals of LFS
& CLFS now (our ability to target several architectures, the most
technically correct way of doing so being to also introduce support
for cross-building*), I don't think it's possible to actually integrate
CLFS' techniques without manually reading, comparing and transferring
content across (with correct attribution, of course).

I obviously can't speak for the other editors, but for me, that is
simply too much work to do.  Instead of being given an svn diff type
patch that helps me question and/or learn about the exact differences
in approaches, I'd have to do a complete compare & contrast exercise
across both book's sources.

I am therefore indebted to people like Jeremy who have managed to do
this, and despite initial bugs in the implementation, have got us at
least some way toward achieving one of the major goals for LFS-7.0.

Best wishes to all for the festive season.

Regards,

Matt.

[*] Apologies for any inaccuracies in my simplification - I have only
briefly followed toolchain discussions up until now, and may have
mis-remembered what I read.  My new year's resolution will be to sit
down and learn about the technical side of the toolchain properly!