LFS was sparked in the day of 32bit x86, and now 64bit is becoming popular,
and LFS is finding itself supporting multiple architectures. ALFS is trying
to make things easier with automation. HLFS has some add-ons. CLFS wants to
support Sparc, Macintosh, and other architectures, and I think everyone else
does too. BLFS is BLFS. It's a shame we can't all come to a common agreement
for book and system design. We're a small group with a common goal to build a
Linux from scratch... to take control of what is normally called
a "distribution". This includes Greg's DIY Linux, who has done excellent work
for our community.

We're short on leadership... someone who can define a compromise and reunite
the forked projects. Efforts to discuss this sort of thing have typically
failed, with a resolution to maintain sovereignty in each project.

I'm not experienced with diplomacy or leadership, but I know the ass end of
it. I think our compeditor projects (outsiders) do not have our issues
because $profit is the main goal, while our goals are really undefined. So we
have a small community with undefined goals, and this is doomed to failure,
yet maintained by love for what we are doing (albeit separately).

At this moment, I do not have an answer, but I ask for suggestions on how we
can reunite, how we can move foreward together, instead of apart. I hope we
can all agree that all the projects should be the same book, although making
this usable for the reader, and developers, is a different story. I,
personally, dismissed php because I don't have the time to learn how to write
it. Same story with rpm scripts. I just want to give command lines and
explain why, not explain it in different languages.

I think everyone would be happier if we all worked on the same book, if we
could just find a friggen way to do it.

LFS will not fall as long as her people develop it. That that which is born
still lives and can not be buried in the cold earth, but only waits to be
born again. We will be the light when all other light has faded. (Drunken
ramble).

Happy holidays.

robert