On 07/27/2010 10:52 AM, Yaacov-Yoseph Weiss wrote:

>>> 2. Include more automation options with LFS. Including making sure they
>>> work with the errata pages.
>
>>> 3. Include package management options, both for moving packages from
>>> installation to installation, and for keeping track of installations.

The problem with package management is that one flavor or the other is
not perfect for everyone.  I personally prefer a simple tar.gz package
file.  No dependency tracking or any of that.  One suggestion I had made
before is to use the DESTDIR method with tar.gz packaging, and go no
further within the book, as that package, or rather the three sets of
instructions (build, install, post-install) used to build that package,
can be used nearly verbatim for all of the PM types (including verbatim
for the users that like simple file lists.  Here was the POC of Chapter
6 at the time, just the installation scripts, which are more than a
little stale, but could be easily adapted for 6.6.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dj/DESTDIR-LFS-6.4/

Others who already use RPM, have also duplicated the same work as the
above, well before I did it, but the intention was to find a working
middle ground for use in the book.  Could even take it a step further
and include the breaking up of bin, lib, and dev packages.  Then it'd be
a cake walk to copy and past into your deb-build, or spec, or whatever
you can dream up.

>>> 4. Include several BLFS installation paths up to date.

I'm not sure I understand that request. I've taken it to mean a linear
BLFS.  Is that what you meant?  I'm afraid that the scope is far too
great for that.  I suppose that you could make the case to include *all*
dependencies including reciprocal, and reuse existing XML, but IDK
exactly how you'd go about it.  I think we'd need some actual dependency
tracking info in the xml source, and conditional code blocks based on
those tracking items.  Shooting from the hip here, one easy way I can
think of would be to use specially formatted comment blocks, and a tool
to pre-process the xml source before handing over to the tools to
generate the completed book which would then be used by jhalfs.  In
fact, you could probably reuse quite a bit of jhalfs for this task.
But, if I've understood the request correctly, you are asking for
something to be done when we are already taxed for editors.  The only
way it will get done is if you, or somebody else, takes the lead and
runs with it...give us a small, but working POC to get all googly eyed
over first.  This goes along with #2, but is only one (simple IMO,
course I haven't tried it yet) way to handle it.

>>> 4a. LFS host system. Will include the host system requirements for
>>> installing LFS.
>
> 4b. I would add to the list a basic X system.

X used to be in LFS, but I haven't put an X on a server that I've
installed in probably 10 years or better.  I did do a concept recently
for an SBS replacement, which I'll be adding to later...likely after
Samba 4 gets some more stabilization work done.

> I would probably start with #2 and #3. I'll try to develop these further,
> though
> as this requires more thought, it won't do this on the spot. As a start, I
> would
> like to know what method of automation the developers use, and definitely
> wouldn't mind seeing their scripts if possible.
>
> #4 and #5 would require coordination with BLFS, and could take advantage
> of #2 and #3, so I would wait with them.

> Another task which could help keeping #4 and #5 up to date, (and ultimately
> all of blfs) would be a (partially) automated test system which will at least
> warn when updates to LFS cause the compiling of a later file to fail.

Yes, but it'd go hand in hand with #2 and #4.

- -- DJ Lucas