On 5/16/11 1:49 AM, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> I'm not sure what the goal *should* be.  :-)  Does it make sense to try
> to clean up completely in this kind of setup?  Maybe or maybe not.
>
> I do think it's least *surprising* to only undo the effects of the start
> script, though.  For whatever that's worth.

I do think we're getting a little overcomplicated here. Let's try to
simplify expectations. Here's what I expect (and I *think* this is
reasonable - you tell me :-) )

When I run the equivalent of /etc/init.d/network stop:

All devices configured to start ONBOOT are shut down, any addresses
assigned to them are removed (this of course means that if there is a
running dhcp service in the background, it won't add any addresses to
the device until I restart the network service).

When I run the equivalent of /etc/init.d/network start:

Any devices configured to start ONBOOT are brought up according to the
settings in their associated config file.

This behavior implies that I should be able to modify network devices on
the fly. If the service is restarted, the devices will only be activated
with configuration explicitly stated in the config files.

JH