On Mon, 9 Jan 2012, Ken Moffat wrote:

On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 10:01:21PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

4.  I don't really like /etc for the /etc/libnl/{pktloc,classid} files.
that's not the kind of thing a user would change, especially with an
editor.  I'd suggest /var/lib.
Why do you think users should expect to change anything in /etc ?
[...]
On a day-to-day basis, I don't edit anything in /etc.
Well, I'm not sure whether this was the original intention, but to me this kind of distinction does make sense. Maybe not from the perspective of a user of a *LFS system, but for a user of *LFS, i.e. a system builder/maintainer. Whenever a system is not (yet) behaving the way I want, I do consider changing files in /etc. I would hardly ever consider changing files in /var/lib. Personally, I do not actually care about libnl at all, but if those config files are not meant to be edited by people other than libnl maintainers, I'd expect to find them in /var/lib instead of polluting /etc...

Regards,
Uwe