On Tue, 10 Jan 2012, Ken Moffat wrote:

OK.  What sort of things do you change in /etc ?  For me, mostly
building desktops (with shared /home), the idea of having to tweak
files in /etc to get it working properly is uncommon.
For me, mostly maintaining kind of servers, pretty sure the majority of configuration tasks is within /etc: add sites/domains to apache, modify recipient_bccs or transports for postfix, add ssl certificates, add/modify users/groups/aliasses, tweak system-wide spamassassin rules, add devices to fstab, stuff like that. In an ideal world you may only have to change such things once - when you setup the system, e.g. setting up a hostname. But demands tend to change... And its a quite convenient to be able to say: well, something is not working the way it should (now) with lets say apache, OK, lets take a look at /etc/apache/*. And I appreciate _only_ finding stuff there, that I might potentially want to change.

Regards,
Uwe