Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 10:01:21PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> 4.  I don't really like /etc for the /etc/libnl/{pktloc,classid} files.
>>   that's not the kind of thing a user would change, especially with an
>> editor.  I'd suggest /var/lib.
>>
>  I'm perhaps too late to the party here, but (in the context of
> adding libnl-3.2.3 in blfs, for NetworkManager as part of gnome-3),
> I don't understand your dislike of /etc for these files ?
>
>  Why do you think users should expect to change anything in /etc ?
> (I'm thinking back to Archaic's hint for a r/o /etc).  To me, if the
> package maintainer uses /etc and the package is well-behaved [ oh, ok,
> libnl doesn't meet that test, but I'm really thinking of the *wierd*
> directories of some BSD packages such as dhcp ], then what's the
> problem ?  Also, if everyone else uses /etc, there seems little
> point in being different for the sake of it - that's the path that
> leads to togolinux.  So, are any big distros using /var/lib ?
>
>  On a day-to-day basis, I don't edit anything in /etc.  The only
> 'distro' I currently use is ubuntu (on my netbook), and again I never
> edit anything in /etc.

No, I don't edit /etc files daily, but I certainly do when I'm setting
it up.  Occasionally, I want to change things in /etc/dircolors,
/etc/profile.d/, /etc/vimrc, etc :)

Actually libnl-3 has several executables to manage things.  For instance
nl-class-add, nl-class-delete, nl-class-list, and so forth.  These
manage what is in the classid file.  The entries in pktloc are the
definitions of the IP and TCP headers.  Why those are in an editable
file, I have no idea.

 From the contents of these files, they should be in the same category
of /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.

   -- Bruce